Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Well, I suppose it had to happen eventually. I've spent enough time reading other women's foodie blogs; it's about time I started one of my own.

It's been a while since I've kept a regular blog, so we'll see how this goes...But I'm beginning to feel as though it's best that I keep a record of the record amount of baking I've been doing in the last few months.

So here goes:

A little about me:
I'm a student in my last year of college, and realizing that I've had it with academia. Don't get me wrong; I love reading, and I love writing. I've just begun to realize that my degree is going to do jack squat for me as soon as I make it out of these hallowed halls. After all, I've only done about 2 years of undergrad, and already I have too many credits. So they're kicking me out on my ass with a diploma, a suma cum laude, and a taste for quoting Nabokov and Stoppard at odd intervals.

I started baking in my last year of high school, when one of my best friends asked for a chocolate cake for his birthday. After the Death by Triple Chocolate Orgasm Cake turned out to be as killer as it sounds, he requested blueberry muffins, which led to my Better than Blueberry and Better than Chocolate Chip Muffin recipes. And then came the Better than Chocolate Chip Cookies...

I only baked during my first year and a half of undergrad when I became too stressed out by reading 3 novels in a week or writing a 20 page paper on the inevitable death of the feminist movement. Soon I started taking the fruits of my kitchen labors to creative writing seminars and musical theatre rehearsals. Everyone--my six roommates included!--appreciated my efforts.

I had to transfer to another college due to financial difficulties, and being here has had its ups and downs...Fortunately, I've had my kitchen to turn to in the darkest of hours. I've been baking almost obsessively since winter break, and my new roommates are very happy about that. I've started writing my own recipes, which has been really refreshing and exciting. I love not knowing how that first bite is going to turn out, and waiting to see my friends' reactions as soon as they've bitten into my latest confection.

So.

That's that.

I will start posting pictures, recipes, etc. as soon as I can!

Kay

No comments: