Sunday, January 20, 2008

CoffeHouse Cookies

Over Christmas break, I got bored. I was sitting in my kitchen (in the corner by the bread box, which I claimed as my perch for the entirety of my stay at home), clicking from food blog to food blog, when I stumbled upon a recipe for green tea cookies. I thought to myself, "What a neat idea! If only I had Matcha powder..."

I realized, however, that we did have a surplus of chai tea in the pantry, just waiting to be commandeered for a crazy cookie recipe. I found a recipe for chai syrup and tweaked a basic sugar cookie recipe, and was left with, arguably, the most awesome cookies ever: Vanilla Chai Tea Latte Cookies.

Of course, all that vanilla and tea needs to be offset by some chocolate and coffee, so I made up a Mocha Caramel Macchiato cookie...and promptly lost the recipe. When I woke up this morning and decided that I needed to bake, I realized how necessary it would be for me to make some new Mocha Caramel Macchiatos. So.

I took a double chocolate cookie recipe, added some brown sugar, caramelized some white sugar, threw in some espresso to taste, and topped it off with a dollop of cream cheese frosting. Voila! Much, much better than my first recipe, frankly. I think the brown sugar did it; rather than a crunchy, thin cookie, I was left with a chewy mound of tastiness.

God, I love baking. There is nothing more fun than playing with sugar. And getting absolutely covered in frosting.



I need to make some Peanut Butter & Jelly and Peanut Butter, Honey, and Banana Cookies for my dad's birthday. Looks like I'll be covered in sugar again tomorrow!

Kay

No comments: