Friday, January 25, 2008

Bad Days and Good Cookies

When I woke up yesterday, I knew it was going to be one of those days. And it was. I went to a fairly pointless class (which required a ride to campus that was longer than the class itself), was turned down for a photography job because i'm overqualified (someone explain that to me, please), didn't get a babysitting gig because they need someone who can commit to more than a year, and couldn't manage to do a single productive thing because things just kept coming up. One top of that, I had a nightmare that was so horrible that I was almost afraid to go back to sleep last night.

When I came home, I was frustrated. I don't know why it happens this way, but whenever I'm having one of those days, I end up baking my Better Than Chocolate Chip muffins. Maybe it's because they're my signature recipe--the first one that I ever really fell in love with and one that I have committed to memory and can probably put together in my sleep. (Although yesterday I decided to at least change it up a little by making them Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Coffeecake muffins, topped off with a pinch of nutmeg...delectable!)

It took me maybe 30 minutes total to get a batch thrown together, and, while that was a really nice bit of kitchen based meditation, it wasn't enough. So I decided to make another cookie recipe.

I wanted to do something different...Not something that anyone can do or anyone would even have thought of doing. I have no idea how or why this recipe came to me, but when it did, it hit me like a ton of bricks, or at least several pounds of packed brown sugar: Boston Cream Pie Cookies! How perfect is that? All of the glory of a Boston Cream Pie--Vanilla custard, chocolate glaze, cakey goodness--captured in a portable cookie form. Like my Apple Pie Cookies, to which my sister Katie is addicted, the Boston Cream Pie Cookie is a piece of inspired insanity.

Behold:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had far too much fun making these. Especially since I spent some time at Target yesterday searching for a double boiler, and was able to use it to make the chocolate glaze.

And I love my roommates/official taste testers. They make baking an adventure, because the moment between the exclamations about how good the house smells and the first bite is pretty much all the excitement I need in life.

Kay

No comments: