Saturday, April 26, 2008

Cheesecake and Standing O's--A Week of Insanity

It's finally over...and I'm not sure it's hit me yet. Where the Bee Sucks, or Christopher Marlowe is Dead was one of the best experiences of my life. It's so strange to see the words that I wrote on paper--words that I labored over, fretted about, changed, rhymed, and manipulated--were really brought to life in front of an audience. And not only were they brought to life, but they were brought to life convincingly--my actors did such an absolutely incredible job, and I couldn't have asked for a better director or stage manager. I can't stop gushing. I'll post a link to photographs as soon as I have them uploaded to my computer.

Now on to the reason for this post being here so early in the morning: The April Daring Bakers challenge. I have no idea how I managed to muster up the time or the energy to complete it, but here goes:

Cheesecake Pops.

I was a little apprehensive about making these, mainly because the recipe called for five 8 oz packages of cream cheese--and in today's economic climate, well...and then there was also the water bath and the incredibly long cook time (especially since I usually had about 1 hour or less between each of my comings and goings in the past month). But somehow, I managed.

These cheesecake pops are made by preparing an actual cheesecake and then scooping out 2 oz balls, putting them on lollipop sticks, and then dipping them in tempered chocolate and various toppings (which were left to our respective discretions). I went with a plain cheesecake (no fancy flavorings) and graham cracker and sprinkle toppings.

The cheesecake was a little bit difficult to make, and, like many of the other DBers, I had a very long bake time. For some reason, the middle of the cake took forever to bake, while the sides browned nicely. I had a little extra batter left over because I only have a 9" cake pan, so I poured the remaining batter into my mini muffin pan and baked it in an impromptu water bath made from one of my cookie sheets. Those minis cooked perfectly. Duly noted for next time.

While I'm sure the cheesecake pops are great for gifts or party favors, I didn't even get a chance to stand them up and make them look all pretty--they were eaten straight out of the refrigerator by my roommates and friends. Apparently, they taste incredible.

The only real problem I had with them was getting them not to melt and fall off of the lollipop sticks. Here in Florida, it's too darn humid to keep them out of the fridge for more than a couple of minutes. Fortunately, they didn't last long enough to melt.

Daring Bakers: Cheesecake Pops





Oh...and I baked my cast and crew a cake, using the amazing cake decorating book from Tartlette as inspiration:

Where Have All the Honeybees Gone Cake
(Yellow Cake with Strawberry Whipped Cream filling, Butter Cream Frosting, and Marshmallow Fondant)





I miss the theatre already.

Oh! and one last thing: I was published in the Mangrove Literary Review here at UF. It's just a poem, but I'm still excited that someone thought it was good enough to publish.

What a week!

Kay

12 comments:

Jessica said...

I felt the need to share this...


When I went to NYC for the Tony Awards in 2006- my family and I went to this ridiculously fancy restaurant- and they had a cheesecake lollipop tree. Basically what you did- and then there was a bubble gum flavored whipped cream dipping thing. It was all sorts of ridiculous.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32719239&id=2058867
(that should link you to a picture of it?)


But the fact that you made cheesecake pops makes me so ridiculously giddy!

I love you! And great job on the show. :)

Christine said...

Your pops are beautiful and I love the cake. Good luck

maybelles mom said...

Your pops and your cake look great.

Lunch Buckets said...

Nice pops and I'm dying over the bees - too freakin' cute!

Susan said...

Mini muffin pan is a very good idea. Cute pops, love the bees too!

~Amber~ said...

Beautiful cheesecake pops.

Helene said...

The pops are gorgeous! Fabulous job Kay! And that cake...love it!! I love bees... :)

Deborah said...

Wonderful job on your cheesecake pops! And that beehive cake is too cute!!

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a wonderful job on your pops. The bee cake turned out fabulous..I'm so glad you got the book.

Congratulations on your show.

Natalie @ Gluten A go Go

Tempered Woman said...

Wow- congrats all around! Professionally and personally. I couldn't resist commenting on that gorgeous beehive cake. Too durn cute!!

Unknown said...

Wow, your show sounds so interesting, I'm amazed you had time to make cheesecake pops too (and they look great).

Dana McCauley said...

Nice pops - even nicer cake!