Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cocktail Cookies!

After the success of my Cuba Libre cookies, I decided to continue experimenting with the leftover alcohol that's been sitting on the top of my fridge. (Since I'm not going to drink it, I might as well put it to good use, right?)

Yesterday I created my own bar mix (which is basically a simple sugar syrup with lime juice--you can buy it prepackaged at the store, but where's the fun in that?) and used that in the place of some of the regular sugar in my recipe. And, of course, I added a couple tablespoons of rum and/or a tequila triple sec mix. The cookies are topped with a glaze that is basically just a cocktail with a little extra sugar.

I made two different batches; the first is a Mojito cookie, which is a mix of rum, lime, and mint. They turned out absolutely wonderful--the rum bakes beautifully, and the cookies are soft and puffy. I also made a Margarita cookies, which is tequila, triple sec, and lime, although I don't like the way tequila bakes. That's not to say that the cookies didn't turn out well; they just don't taste as soft and cakey as the ones with rum. I think I also need to add more lime to really enhance that margarita flavor. They're a little sticky and shiny because of the bar mix in the glaze, but that makes them all the more fun.

Mojito and Margarita Cookies



Also, I made a new website. It's from a free web host, so it's not fantastic, but hey! It's got a much more interactive menu, where you can check out the four different types of cookies I offer as well as the recipes you've all seen on this site in a handy-dandy list form.

Enjoy: Kay's Cookies

Kay

No comments: